What is Youth Mental Health First Aid?
The course will help participants to be able to spot signs, offer support and keep young people safe when they are experiencing mental health difficulties.
Social impact of mental health
- 1 in 4 young people in the UK experience suicidal thoughts
- Among teenagers, rates of depression and anxiety have increased 70% in the past 25 years, especially since the mid 1980s
- The number of children and young people who have presented to A+E with a psychiatric condition has doubled since 2009
- About 25% of young people self harm on one occasion, with 87% of young people who self harm not seeking treatment from an acute hospital
- 10% of suicides in the UK are by those aged 15 – 24.
Economic costs of mental health problems
The burden on individuals, families, communities and society as a whole includes the distress, the impact on physical health, the social consequences of mental health problems and the financial and economic costs.
These costs have been estimated at £10 billion a year in health, social care and other costs.
Centre for Mental Health, 2010
What is covered in the course?
During the two day course, your will learn how to:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health issue in young people
- Feel confident helping a young person experiencing mental ill health
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help protect a young person who might be at risk of harm
- Help prevent a mental health issue from getting worse
- Help a young person recover faster
- Guide a young person towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health issues.
This 12 hour course will usually take place over two days, but can be tailored to your needs.
We run both open access courses (anyone can book onto these) and ‘in house’ sessions aimed at specific schools, organisations, teams or groups.
Participants attending the course will receive the official YMHFA manual and a certificate accredited by MHFA England.
Courses can be delivered on your own premises or at a designated venue through Mind BLMK.
More information and courses coming soon
To discuss your needs, book a course or for details of upcoming courses, please contact us on:
0300 330 0648 or [email protected]
Disclaimer: Mind BLMK will make every effort to run their training courses but reserve the right to cancel or change the dates of the above course should it be necessary to do so.